When Garbage Disposals Fail, San Diego Plumbing Contractors Save the Day
If your garbage disposal has ever broken, you know just how inconvenient it can be. That’s when you realize how much you rely on it to remove kitchen waste. Prevention, as they say, is the best medicine.
You can expect long life and faithful service from your garbage disposal with the following tips:
- Clean your disposal regularly by letting it run with a little cold water and dish soap or Borax. Avoid using harsh chemicals like bleach since they corrode the moving parts of the disposal.
- Don’t be afraid to put fish bones or eggs in the garbage disposal since these hard objects scour the inside of the disposal before breaking up and washing away.
- Always use a generous amount of cold water, not hot, when grinding items in the disposal. The water moves waste through the disposal so that it doesn’t work too hard, which leads to malfunction.
- Don’t pour grease down the drain. It collects in the disposal, slowing the moving parts and increasing wear. It also clogs the drain, which is just as problematic as a broken disposal.
- Limit the amount of fibrous material you process with the disposal. Fibers tend to collect in the drain and are havens for grease and other particles. That’s a recipe for a clogged drain.
- Grind peels from citrus fruits in the disposal to get rid of the aroma that builds in your disposal over time.
- Believe it or not, running ice through the disposal is a good way to clean it out and keep the blades sharp. Just toss a few cubes in and run it for a few minutes.
When Disposals Break
Despite your best efforts, there comes a time in the life of most disposals when they break. Signs of a broken disposal include grinding noises during operation, no noise at all when the switch is on, or poor performance while running.
Sand Diego plumbing professionals at Ace Contractors are just a phone call away from fixing your garbage disposal issues. Instead of attempting a fix on your own, which could be more than you are bargaining for, give Ace a call for expert repair service.